Have you received your latest issue of Interweave Knits yet? Guess who has a pattern in it? If you haven’t, go order yours today! (And if you go through the link below, I get a small cut of your purchase as an affliliate.)
The current Summer 2010 issue features the Empyrean Tunic. It’s a design that I had originally submitted for the Spring 2010 issue (in which Rose Window Beret appears). Since people always seem to be curious to see how an idea turned into reality, below is a snapshot of my submission.
My submission swatch was worked with a sandalwood-colored 50% tussah silk and 50% wool yarn that I got a while back from a sale that a machine knitting shop was having. I still have lots of that yarn, which I think would be perfect for Empyrean. I should knit another sample since I won’t ever see the one I made for the magazine in my possession ever again. ::sigh::
The garment is worked in one piece in a raglan-construction from the top-down. Don’t worry if the neckline seems overly wide at first! It will all work itself out in the end. I promise! The neckline is tightened up with an i-cord edging, which really would not work with other garments unless it’s something airy and light like this. I intentionally did not reduce stitches at the bottom hem and sleeve ends so that they would flare out a little — I think it just makes it seem more interesting and more fluid.