My sister came down from San Francisco to visit me this past weekend in part so that I can hold some of her personal items while she spends the next few years at a special nursing program at Yale (and also to visit her “friend” in San Diego) .
In preparation for her visit, I finished a hat for her using the yarn that I painted at Denise’s at the dye party. The hat only took me a short 2 hours or less, and I made it as she described: “chunky, squareish but kind of pointy at the ends like kitty ears.”
We spent a morning at a local Arboretum, where she posed with her “new favorite hat.” Aww, I feel all warm and fuzzy! I’m also working on a vest for her with the rest of the yarn, but it’s on hiatus for the time being, as I prepare five(!) soon-to-be-revealed designs to be sent off for tech editing.
The designs will be displayed at the TNNA trade show in Columbus in June. The date is fast approaching, but I am still undecided whether I will be going. By all reasoning, I should go, especially since my garments will be showing at a couple of yarn booths, but the trip will be a rather expensive investment.
Speaking of designs, two of my designs, Alishan and Yehliu, are in the new book by Kristi Porter, Knitting in the Sun, which will be released on Monday, May 11! How exiciting is that!! I will post more details about each designs and their process after the official release date next week.
Project: Bulky Kitty-Eared Hat (working title)
Pattern Source: Designed by Anne K. Lukito. It is of my design, based on an idea that my sister described. It”s not available as of yet. I will write it up eventually, and right now, I am leaning towards posting it as a freebie.
Yarn: Bulky Weight yarn that I hand-painted (70% Merino Wool, 20% Alpaca, 10% Silk); I used about 55 yards.
Needles: US #13
Notes: It was a really quick and easy knit. I worked it in the round in one piece. The “ears” were not an extra attachment or piece that was sewn on.